Sunday, June 30, 2013

Welcome to the wonderful world of the W126 Chassis

Thought I'd reluctantly join the blogging world!

Please only post if you are interested and have some social grace, otherwise you will only be wasting your time when I report and delete unwanted posts...

My blog is about a car I recently purchased AKA Goldie. She is a Mercedes Benz 1991 420SEL.
This blog is about my time working through some if the issues she has, being 21 years old and "engineered like no other" :P
So Goldie has been my daily drive for past few days to work and back, but my real intention is for her to to be an occasional drive...
I have neither owned nor driven a MB until now (and I'm more than twice Goldie's age). It has however been a dream to have one in my garage since I was a schoolboy. My special interest in cars remains and I am lucky enough to work in the Australian auto industry.

Back to Goldie... So far a number of items have shown up, as you can imagine a grand old lady even as well looked after she has been. As you can imagine this car has all bells and whistle's (central locking, power windows, cruise etc) back in circa 1991 (analogue car phone LOL)... and things which can go wrong over time or with lack or attention. Most of these features are now found on even the basic of cars these days.

So a growing list of items needing work and what I did to fix them, where I got parts, who I contacted etc, in case you are doing the same and need help (please take note I am no expert and cannot be responsible if you followed something I did and it didn't work for you too, this Blog is purely for information sharing)...

Cruise Control - not disengaging with brake application
Rear seat creaking
Ashtray wood trim (it's real wood too) detached
Windshield trim alignment is off
Lube Doors Hinges and openers, mostly OK except for drivers door being slightly noisy.
Lube Bonnet Hinge and latches, OK but won't hurt.

hmm, this list is getting long...er. ;)

Adjust Bonnet height on LHS... looks off to the front fender.
Electric aerial not fully closing, clunk, clunk, clunk...
Corrosion near battery - minor surface on hood under and strut tower/firewall.
Aircond - thought it was working the other day but not cooling at moment on a warm day.
But wait there could (will) be more....


My saviors are here:
http://ozbenz.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment